Oct 13, 2010

I Changed

I changed the I can't into I can's;
I let go of theirs and took my own hand;
I stopped stopping myself and began to encourage
And let go of the fools setting out to discourage
I changed nothing into something
I turned seeds into trees
There was a time when i thought i was nothing
How foolish of me.........
How could i not see, that i was more than they said
That I was worth more than they thought, whether alive or dead
I caught dreams by the tail and I strapped them on tight
I cut off the dead weight with one swipe of my knife
I turned darkness into light
And I climbed many mountains
I found love in me
And put a hedge around my fountain
I'm more than just a body, educated and unique
A mind that has surpassed the present
Much more than a sexy physique
I sailed away into time and found out WHY THE CAGE BIRD SINGS
I survived THE COLDEST WINTER EVER,
with my MAMA and PUSHED through things
See, I turned emptiness into fullness
And I pieced together my broken pieces
I woke up from years of sleep
And turned my hood into exotic beaches
This is my time now
I don't remember the past
But one lesson I hold onto
Trouble don't always last
I turned nights into mornings
I turned sadness into laughter
I turned weakness into strength
And before into after
I am a woman, I am a conqueror
I am the one who changed my world
With the snap of my fingers and a twist of my hips
I turn coal into diamonds and rocks into pearls!

1 comment:

  1. Fabulous poem dear Rebecca about self discovery and empowerment! xoxoxo ♡

    ReplyDelete